Menu

The Slight Edge Recap

Published on Saturday, May 1, 2021

The SLIGHT EDGE
Interested in reading The Slight EDGE? Contact your HR Representative.
The main concept in this book is the compound effect of your habits and choices, the author, Jeff Olson, calls this the Slight Edge. Everything you do, every decision you make, every action (and inaction!) has a slight positive or negative waldo impact on the final outcome.


“It comes down to a simple choice, really. You get busy living, or get busy dying.” – Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption


Chapter 3: The Choice
Chapter three starts with a fable of a dying man and his two sons; he offers to each son either a penny that appreciates in value over the next 30 days or a stack of $1000 that equals 1 million dollars. He also gives them a book filled with short stories about the power of compounding efforts. The first son read two stories from the book and ends up choosing the penny. The second son did not read the book and instead just took the million dollars. After 30 days of doubling the penny’s value each day, the first son ends up with $10 million while the second son spent the money before he had it and ends up with nothing. Here’s where the “slight edge” comes into play. Making positive small decisions that compound on top of one another leads to great results. Million dollar results! However, making negative small decisions that compound on top of one another leads to failure. The choice is yours.


Chapter 4: Master the Mundane
This chapter starts with the story of Olson meeting a shoe shiner at an airport. He talked with her about what her goals and dreams are and how one day she’ll get there. He noticed she was filling her extra time with reading romance novels instead of actually doing something about her goals and dreams. That was the moment he decided to write The Slight Edge. He talks about the 5 percent. The 5% of people who are actually happy and successful. These 1 out of 20 people achieve a level of success and fulfillment that they hope for. What do the other 95% of people do? They fall short. They don’t do the thing. They give up on the mundane tasks that will end up making them successful.”
So why don’t people consistently do those simple, mundane tasks? Olson gives us 3 reasons:
1) While they’re easy to do, they are also easy not to do.
2) You don’t see any results at first
3) They seem insignificant, they don’t matter. But they do.

SlightEdge

See all articles